My big brother Chris has been helping me a lot over the past few years to figure out religion and where I fit into it all. He was a Theology Minor at Duke. When I would visit him and his wife in Durham over weekends we would go to the Catholic Church or Methodist one. I liked them both. I liked that they were pretty "laid back" and that I had Chris right next to me to explain things to me.
I tried going to the non denominational chruch services that were offered at the Univeristy I go to. But I always felt uncomfortable, under pressure and out of place there.
Buddhism has always made sense to me, it just clicked in my mind. Chris had a book by Jack Kornfield called "The Teachings of the Buddha" and he let me borrow his copy. A few days later I ordered my own off amazon because everything in the book spoke to me and as you can see above, I write in my books.
I've had two copies of the book so far. Luckily it's pretty inexpensive so when I lost my 1st copy I was able to purchase another one.
It's great to have someone around who studied religion as well as "grew up" in the church scene. I can talk to him about anything, he knows pretty much everything about me and it's amazing to have someone to bounce ideas off of who isn't going to judge me or try to convert me.
No comments:
Post a Comment