November 17, 2009

Hello world hope you're listening. Forgive me if I'm young, for speaking out of turn....






Sometimes I wonder how people would react if they couldn't play "the race card" when things got tough. If you had no real clear history or knew exactly where your ancestors were from and you wouldn't be able to blame your current situation on them or on what was done to them. If your history started when you were born and there was no before, only you. For 21 years I've lived without any real clear definition of what Race or Ethnicity I am. The only thing I've known about my parents is that my mom OD'ed and they had to perform an emergency c-section to "save me", and this information I just found out about this past Summer. Other than that, I know very little if anything at all about my "history". For all intents and purposes I probably shouldn't be a sophomore in college, I should probably be out somewhere cracked out on drugs. But I'm not because I'm not letting that part of my life define how the rest of my life goes, and instead of making it a negative thing, I'm trying to stay positive. I know first hand what drugs and alcohol can do to a family and to a new born. I just can't help but wonder where we would be if Race and Ethnicity didn't define everything. If people just accepted one another instead of judging someone based off the colour of their skin or their Ethnicity.




148.365

No comments: