September 11, 2009

Whirlwind.




I was in the 7th grade when the towers fell and it was ten days shy of my 13th birthday. I think I was trying to get my friends together to go bowling or something.

We had some weird schedule where we would go to science every day at a certain time for about 2 weeks and then it would switch to Humanities/Social Studies for two weeks and then switch back. It was science that week. Our teacher, Mr. Ross, was trying to tell us what had happened and what was going on. The whole room was buzzing with excitement because it was almost the end of the day. When he'd begin speaking other kids would yell over top him or make rude remarks. He gave up after about 5 minutes and then the bell rang.

When I got off the bus and walked into my house BJ had the television on and they were re-playing the clips of the Twin Towers falling. Vicki was in the living room on her computer because she was working for IBM at the time and did web-hosting for the FBI.





I stood there in complete shock. I couldn't understand why someone would want to do this or who could be capable of such a thing. The shock turned into sadness for the families who lost loved ones that day. I remember watching TRL that night and musicians were calling in expressing how they felt about what happened. The next day a bunch of musicians got together and made a remix of "Whats Going On" and it was played for the next month or so. I still have it on my iPod.

I don't remember much about the days following 9-11. I don't remember if we had an assembly at school or anything like that.

Life went on. I had my 13th birthday and got a new skateboard. A few months later, I met my big bros and life has never been the same.


82.365

No comments: