September 16, 2009

You should see the other guy.






He's 6 ft under ground.

I was in a near fatal car accident at the age of 6 and a half. In the picture above, I was about 8 and it was after one of my major operations. I lost a lot of summers and spring breaks as a kid because my surgeries were scheduled during those breaks. My mom didn't want me to miss more school. I hated it though, I wanted to go to sleep away camp like my friends but I couldn't.

In the car accident my face was completely destroyed, almost every bone broken.

I never thought it would change my life as much as it has. I walk outside with a hat on everyday afraid that my scars will get sunburn which would lead to skin cancer. I'm self conscious of the way my face looks because of these surgeries. I try not to be but I can't help it. I've been dealing with this for the past 14 years. It's ridiculous.

When I hear about people driving drunk or intoxicated, it pisses me off. When I hear about people not wearing their seat belt, it pisses me off. When I see parents in driving around with their kids jumping around in the back seat, it makes me want to cry. I don't understand how they can take such a big risk, or why they would even want to.

Right now, I'm sick with a sinus infection which is just another reminder of my car accident. I won't ever forget it. I look in the mirror and see the scars from it every day. When I wash my hair I can feel the scars on the top of my head. Sometimes I run my fingers over them during class when I need to concentrate. They're comforting in a weird way.

I never got upset that I was so badly hurt in the car accident. I kind of just rolled with it, I was a kindergarten scab collector. I jumped out of swings and off the play ground structures, I was skating and climbing trees. To me, it was just another injury sustained out there in the world.

I don't think it's really hit me that I could have died that day.

No comments: