September 22, 2009

Mindfulness.

Sitting Meditation. 


Yesterday afternoon I experienced my first "sitting meditation" during a therapy session. He asked if I wouldn't mind trying some "sitting meditation" and if it would be okay if he guided me through it. He offered me his arm chair and he sat at his desk chair which was behind me and slowly began to guide me into meditation. I sat with my feet underneath me, somewhat like the lotus position but not quite, I'm not that flexible yet and I closed my eyes. He began by telling me to focus on my breathing and when my mind began to wander to gently bring it back to my breathing. It was very calming and at during the first few moments I found myself getting worried and panicky because I was afraid I was going to fall asleep during the exercise. Luckily I was able to calm myself down and focus on my breathing and not fall asleep. He helped me through the 10 minute meditation process which he called the Mindfulness Exercise. When it was done he asked if I would be able to set aside time to do this exercise and suggested it for when I get nervous during a test or right before. 


At the end of the therapy session he gave me a work sheet that has the days of the week and then collums with "Date" Mindfulness Exercise" "Minutes of Practice" and "I'm Grateful for...." So far I have Monday filled out because I haven't meditated yet today. 


I didn't realise how much I do meditate without even thinking about it or making it seem like a chore. When I'm walking to class I am doing walking meditations and even when I listen to music I am meditating. 




93.365

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It was an amazing realization for me when it occured to me that I can (and had been for a long time) meditate without the zazen or ritual. When I prepared dinner, exercised, walked to class or did yard work it was all done with mindfulness.

I still try to sit daily but I don't feel so bad if I miss it occasionally.

Cheers,

Kamala said...

Yeah. When we were discussing it afterwards it shocked me at how much I meditated during the day. It was a huge relief because for a minute I felt like I wasn't being a "real buddhist" (whatever that means). He said that Meditation, especially sitting mindfulness would help me with my ADHD and managing it.

Unknown said...

To be honest, I don't know what a "real Buddhist" is. I doubt that I am one but I always thought that the purpose of meditation was to do it all day without thinking about it. Goof Luck.

I hope that your practice continues to help with your ADHD.

Nathan said...

No worries about being a "real Buddhist" - just keep practicing, however it comes.