February 21, 2010

Through The Ages.


I'm 10
and I'm looking down at the joint in my hand
taking the lighter I put the flame to the end
and inhale.

I'm 12
with a cup of brown liquid in my hand
I put it up to my lips and feel the liquid burn my throat
and wince.

I'm 15
with tablets in my hands
I bring them up to my lips and put them in my mouth
and let go.

I'm 18
with a beer in my hand
while others are scattered on the ground
and I'm lost.

I'm 19
free of alcohol in my blood stream
still smoking on occasion, but not as much anymore
and recovering.

3 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

You're a survivor. I admire your gumption. Meditation really can help you find happiness.

Kamala said...

Thanks for your feedback Dan. Meditation has helped a lot over the years, I'm not quite at the stage of being able to sit still for 20 minutes but I do practice walking meditation. Maybe one day I'll be able to.

Anonymous said...

You're doing good kiddo.